“Host” refers to the owner of the Gear. The individual or party renting, selling, or sharing the Gear
“Guest” refers to the individual or party renting or purchasing the Gear
“Gear” refers to any product, item, vehicle, service, or equipment that the Host or Guest lists or rents
“Vacation Rental” refers to any overnight accommodations from individuals or businesses in a physical building or home, a camper, or a camping location
“Booking” refers to the purchase of any Gear in the Rent, Buy, or Share tab categories
“Individual” refers to an individual Host listing privately from home or their vacation rental
“Business” refers to a business Host listing from their physical business or online store
“Pay on Website” refers to paying, or getting payed, online through Red Bear Rentals
“Pay at Pickup” refers to paying, or getting payed, when the Gear is picked up
How do I search for a vacation rental and gear rental together?
- Click on the "Vacation Rental" house tab then click the "Show Vacation Rentals with Gear Rentals nearby" and type in a city
- This will show VRBO and other vacation listings along with all rental gear available in the area
- Click on the "Gear Rental" shopping basket tab then click the "Show Gear Rentals with Vacation Rentals nearby" and type in an item and city
- This will show the specific gear rental you need, like a bike or kayak, along with linked vacation rentals (VRBO coming soon!)
How much does it cost to use Red Bear rentals?
- It's free! Just pay the purchase or rental price and that’s it
- It is free to post with the Individual, Business, and Vacation Rental options and a 10% fee is deducted when the Gear is booked
- With "Business" listings you have the option to link directly to your store or website for checkout
- If you are a Host make sure to view the "Offers" button in "MY POSTS" "Actions" column to keep your listing active for up to 6 months for free
What are the “Type” and “Payment” options listed?
- The ‘Type’ is to determine who is selling or renting the Gear
- “Individual” is from a person, not a business, usually from their home or vacation rental property
- “Business” is from a business usually with a brick and mortar or online store
- The ‘Payment’ is how the Guest will pay the Host when they book the Gear or vacation
- “Pay on website” means you will pay on the website before you finish checking out, or get paid on Stripe or PayPal when you deliver the Gear
- “Pay at pickup” means you will pay the Host when you meet them, usually in cash with the 'Individual' type, or with credit card at the business or online for 'Business' type
What if I didn’t get an email confirmation when signing up?
- Check you spam folder
- If not in your spam folder sign up again and you will get an option to re-send verification
- If you still didn't get us send us a message at Contact@RedBear.Rentals
What happens when something is booked?
For a “Pay on Website” Rental view the It’s Booked page or check out this YouTube link
1. After reviewing the Host’s Terms of Service and deposit price, choosing your rental dates, choosing your delivery or pickup options, and paying, the Host will receive a notification in their email and on their dashboard where they will have 48 hours to confirm
- The Guest's credit card will be checked to make sure there is enough to 'authorize' the deposit but will not be charged
- 48 hours before the rental starts, or when the Host confirms delivery, the deposit will be 'authorized' and that amount on the card may become unusable during the rental depending on the card and bank
2. The Host will “Approve” or “Deny” the booking, making sure the dates and location work
- If approved the Host and Guest chat and set up delivery dates and times using the internal “Message” function, or by going into “Guest Info” or “Host Info” in the “MY ORDERS” tab and pressing “Share your email address” and/or “Share your phone number”
- You can also automatically share your email and phone number once a booking is confirmed by clicking "Share Contact Information" in your "MY ACCOUNT" "SETTINGS" part of you profile
3. The Host will “Claim Delivery” upon meetup for drop off or pickup from the "MY ORDERS" "Received", notification, or email, or “Claim Delivery” at home if you will not have internet access
- The price of the rental will be deducted when the Host claims delivery
- The Host can then upload pictures of the gear at drop-off
4. The Guest will “Confirm Delivery” from the "MY ORDERS" "Received", notification, or email after the Host confirms
- It is best to do this on a mobile device at pickup or dropoff, but can be done ahead of time if there will be no internet access
- The Guest can then upload pictures of the gear at drop-off
5. When the rental is done the Guest will “Return and Claim Deposit” when they meet up with the Host, or before if there will be no internet access at the return point
- The Guest may have the option to buy the rental instead of returning at this step for a discount of 50% of the rental reduced from the “Buy” price
6. After the Guest presses ‘Return and Claim Deposit’ the Host will “Confirm Delivery” if everything looks good, or “Confirm Delivery with Damage” and enter the damage costs to be reduced from the deposit
- If everything is returned without damage the deposit hold will be canceled
- If the Guest did not return the rental, and you have made every effort to contact and set up a new return time or location you can “Deny Return” and the booking will go into ‘disputed’ mode
- If there is damage the Guest will “Confirm Damage Cost” and the remainder of the deposit will be refunded
- If the Guest “Denies Damage Cost” the transaction will go into ‘disputed’ mode and Red Bear Rentals will be in contact with both sides to discuss the issue
7. Host and Guest will get a chance to leave a Red Bear Rating and Review after the booking is complete
Before declaring disputes with delivery, return, and damage costs you should contact each other and try to work out the problems!
For a “Pay at pickup” rental:
1. After reviewing the Host’s Terms of Service, choosing your rental dates, choosing your delivery or pickup options, and submitting your request, the Host will receive a notification in their email and on their dashboard
2. The Host will “Approve” or “Deny” the booking, making sure the dates and location work
3. If approved this will end the notifications and tracking of the rental
4. The Host and Guest must then message each other and set up any additional details and payment at the store, and complete the required additional paperwork and terms of the business rental
What are the cancellation fees?
- For rental items
- 100% is refunded if cancelled in the first 24 hours after booking, 75% is refunded if cancelled between 6 days and 24 hours before the booking start date, NO refund if cancelled less than 24 hours before the booking start date
- For sale items
- 100% is refunded if cancelled in the first 24 hours after the booking, 75% is refunded if cancelled between 1 day and 6 days after the Host confirmation, NO refund if cancelled 6 days the Host confirmation.
Do I need a Stripe or PayPal account?
- If you are a Host listing Gear with the “Pay at pickup” option you need a Stripe or PayPal account
- If you are a Host listing Gear with the “Pay on website” option you need a verified Stripe or PayPal account to get paid
- You can add or remove the Stripe or PayPal account at the bottom of your Profile page
- If you are a Guest purchasing Gear you do not need a Stripe or PayPal account and can pay by credit card if the Host enabled “Pay on website” or pay by cash or other means if the Host enabled “Pay at pickup”
What is the difference between signing up with Stripe or PayPal?
- With Stripe you get paid as soon as both you and the Guest 'Confirm Delivery'
- With PayPal you get pad when the entire rental is completed, all gear returned and any damage claims settled
What if property other than the rental Gear is damaged by the rental Gear/renter?
- Once the Guest clicks the ‘Confirm Delivery’ button they take responsibility for the Gear and any actions caused from use of the Gear
- The Host takes back responsibility once they accept the return of the Gear
- As both Host and Guest you should confirm with your home or renters insurance company and see what is included with your policy
- At no time is Red Bear Rentals liable for any damage or injuries
- Please refer to https://www.redbear.rentals/terms
How do disputes work?
- The Guest can decline delivery and start a dispute
- The Host can decline the return and start a dispute
- The Gear goes into dispute if the payment authorization fails
- The Guest can decline the damage charges and start a dispute
- If the credit card is canceled or changed during the rental and is not updated the deposit will be captured and a dispute will be filed
What if my credit card expires during the rental?
- The Guest will get an email and notification to enter a new card within 47 hours of the message to keep the rental active
- If the Guest does not enter a new card or return the gear within the timeframe the deposit will be captured and the Host and Guest can file a dispute if needed
- A 10% un-refundable service fee will be deducted from deposit when the gear is returned
Do I need to provide my real address?
- If you enter your real address in your profile and select "Use my profile address", only the city will be shown with your gear location
- You can enter any address where you want to meet for pickup or delivery
- Such as a park down the street, a parking lot, your work, your home, or your vacation property
- As a Host you can also enter different addresses for your profile, your Gear, and your Google maps location
- To submit an ID and become a verified user you must use your real address
What are the delivery options?
- Pickup from Host's location: This means if you are renting the gear you will go to the Host
- Deliver to Guest's location: This means the Host will deliver the gear to your location
- Look for the delivery radius pricing on the Google map
- Direct link to website options: This means you can rent or buy the item at the Host's website or physical store.
What can I find or list on Red Bear Rentals?
You can find and list nearly anything on Red Bear Rentals to Rent, Buy, Share, or Compare
- List personal Gear from your home with the ‘Individual’ option, or find them from your neighbor next door
- List business Gear at your brick and mortar or online store with the ‘Business’ option, or find them at the retail shop around the corner
- Link to your "Vacation Rental" as an individual or business to share your overnight accommodation, like a vacation home, hostel, bed and breakfast, hotel, camper, or camping location
- Search for a vacation rental from VRBO or other individuals and gear rental together to make your vacation complete!
Red Bear Rentals focuses on the outdoor recreation and travel industries, however, you can list and find items for sale or rent in the categories of:
- Sporting goods like snowboards, bikes, camping gear, and water sports
- Home Gear like appliances and furniture
- Electronics like cameras, games, and drones
- Tools like hand tools, power tools, and yard equipment
- Clothing of all types
- Baby and toddler Gear for rent from businesses and sale from individuals and businesses
- Jewelry, Art, and more!
- You can also share experiences, trades, services, jobs, trades, events, ride sharing, storage space, requests, free stuff, jobs, and more in the gear rental category
- The list of prohibited items can be found at https://www.redbear.rentals/prohibited
How do I deactivate or delete my account?
- You can deactivate or delete your account by clicking on “MY ACCOUNT” and finding the options on the left-hand side of the screen
- You can only deactivate or delete if you do not have any active rentals or sales pending
- If you deactivate your account, all your Gear will be deactivated and you will need to re-activate all your postings individually
Why was my account or listing deleted?
How do I add Gear?
- Click the buttons in the home page search menu or navigate to the “MY POSTS” tab and select “Add Gear for Rent”, "Add Vacation Rental Property", “Add Gear for Sale”, or "Add Share" and fill out the fields
How do I ‘add on’ Gear to my main Gear?
- You create add on Gear just like the main Gear, but by choosing “Add On Gear” under the “Gear Type” when creating it
- Once you have all the add on Gear done you can add them to the Main Gear from the "MY POSTS" page by clicking the red + on the right side in the Actions column
- Add on Gear will also show in the category list and search results just like Main Gear
- If there are multiple addresses when you combine add on items and main items only the main Gear address will be used for the location of the pickup
- The delivery radius will be based on your main profile address
- The individual addresses will still be available when renting or selling the add on gear and main gear separately
- If you checked “Use main gear location” on your add on gear your profile address will be used if sold or rented individually
- If there are multiple payment options selected you will only be able to combine Gear with the same payment, either Pay at pickup or Pay on website
My Gear does not show up when I search for it. Why isn’t it listed?
- If it is a “Pay on website” posting is your Stripe or PayPal account verified?
- You must have a verified Stripe or PayPal account linked to your profile before your Gear will appear so that you can get paid
- To add a Stipe or PayPal account, click on the red “Connect with Stripe” or "Connect with PayPal" button at the bottom of your profile in "MY ACCOUNT" "SETTINGS"
- Did you upload a picture with your gear rental, vacation rentals, sale gear, or share item?
- The Post must have at least one picture to describe what you are trying to rent, sell, or share
- Is your “Location” filled out in your Profile?
- Make sure to click on the Google map to find an address
- This doesn’t have to be at your home or business!
How long are my posts listed?
- Your posts are listed for one month at a time with the option to extend every two weeks
- If an offer is available your post will stay active for the duration of the subscription
What is the “Confirm Gear Availability” email or notification I got?
- To confirm your listing is active you need to confirm every two weeks
- You can confirm through the email, through the notification at the top of your page, or with the "Confirm Availability" button in your post section
- If you do not respond within 48 hours your listing will be shown lower on the search and if you do not respond by the end of the 30 day period your listing will be marked inactive and not shown in the search results
What if my gear was booked but I didn't see the request in time?
- The booking will be automatically canceled after 48 hours and the Guest will be informed and the booking amount held on the credit card will be released
Why can’t I see the Guest’s address or contact info?
- For privacy reasons you will not see the Guest’s address or contact unless they share it
- The Guest will also not see your address or contact unless you share it
- You can share your email and phone number under "MY ORDERS" and clicking the "Guest Info" button or in your "Settings" menu
- Utilize the internal messaging system to ask any questions before booking to make sure the location and details are what you need if you don’t get their email or phone number
What if the Guest or Host does not meet for pick-up/drop-off, or is late for pick-up/drop-off and I can’t wait around?
- If the Host presses "Confirm Delivery" and the Guest forgets to "Confirm Delivery" the delivery will be automatically confirmed in 24 hours and the rental will continue as normal
- If the Guest presses "Return and Claim Deposit" and the Host forgets to "Confirm Return" the return will be automatically confirmed in 24 hours and the deposit will be released
- The Host will also have 24 hours after both the Guest and Host confirm the return to claim any damage they noticed later
- Make sure to utilize the "Upload product images" to keep a record of the condition before and after the rental
- If the Guest or Host does not show up, or is late and you can’t wait, please make every effort to contact them and arrange another time or place to meet
- As a Host, if you made every effort to contact them you can “Confirm Delivery” to try to get payment, or “Cancel” to not charge them for the rental
- If you confirm the delivery the Guest may dispute the booking and we will be in contact with both of you to determine the problem
- As a Guest, If you made every effort to contact the Host you can ‘cancel’ the order after the booking date has passed and you will be refunded
- If the Host confirmed delivery but did not meet you, you can press “Decline delivery” and the item will be listed as disputed and we will be in contact with you
- You will get a chance to rate the Host and leave a review detailing your experience
- Review the cancellation policy in the FAQ section to learn more
What happens if the Guest damages the item I rented to them?
- It is a good practice for both the Host and Guest to take pictures or video of the rental gear at the time of delivery to compare to upon return
- There is a built in option to "Upload product images" in your "MY ORDERS" section to keep a record of the condition before and after the rental
- Both you and the guest should thoroughly inspect the rental gear when meeting up for the return before you press the “Claim Deposit” button to refund the deposit
- The Host will have 24 hours after the gear is returned to inspect the gear and claim damage
- If you notice damage you should discuss with the Guest about how much it will cost to repair or replace
- Once a price is agreed upon you can press “Return with damage” and enter the damage cost
- The Guest will then agree or disagree to the damage cost on their notifications
- If the Guest agrees to the damage the cost will be deducted from their deposit fund and be paid to you
- If the Guest disagrees the damage will be marked as disputed
- Note: A 10% website fee will be deducted from the damage claim payment as well to cover costs and disputes
What if the damage is more than the deposit?
- It is a good practice to set the deposit at the price you would purchase or sell the item for
- If the damage is more than the price you set as your deposit, we can only pay you the amount collected from the deposit to cover the damage
What if my product was not returned?
- It is a good practice to set the deposit at the price you would purchase or sell the item for
- If the Guest says it was returned you will have a chance to confirm or deny before the deposit is returned to the Guest
- If you decline the return then the item will get listed as disputed and we will contact you and the Guest
- Send an email to contact@RedBear.Rentals at any time if there are problems
Why does it cost a dollar to Rent or Buy when the price says $0?
- We charge a minimum $1 ‘Pay on website’ fee to cover the credit card costs and website maintenance